Friday 24 May 2013

Odell Brewery, IPA

A difficult IPA for me, this from Odell. A salty-ish nose (similar to that coming from the Brüpond) sat alongside some perhaps more expected combinations of fruit and resin. This continued into the taste until about the midway point where it began to taste and smell very much like champagne. This then dominated for the rest of the bottle. One thing I noticed was a date on the side of the bottle - around the beginning of January mark (US dating - month before day). I'm assuming that this was the bottling date? If so it'd mean that I'd drunk this almost 4 months after it's birth. Is that too late? Had there been some degradation to the hop oils such that it produced that champagne taste? (I am of course assuming that this IPA oughtn't to have tasted like champagne.....) Anyway, it meant that I didn't really enjoy it unfortunately. Properly bitter though. Purchased from the excellent Mr Lawrence Wine Merchant.

No comments:

Post a Comment