Thursday 14 November 2013

Kernel Brewery, Bière de Table

I had a Partizan saison a while back and I didn't like it particularly. I think I wrote some naive guff about the hops seeming out of place and that i didn't think saisons were my thing. Then, in the summer, I had a De Koninck on tap at the Greenwich Union, and it reminded me of holidays in France as a teenager. This nostalgia prompted me to get a 750ml bottle of Dupont which them promptly sat in the wine rack for a few months. One night, Vicky suggested I crack it, so we shared it over Silver Linings Playbook (average). I wasn't immediately blown away, but the more I drank of my glass, the more I was taken back to France, to Pelforth and fresh Kronenbourg, sunflowers, vineyards and sunshine.

This Kernel really hit the spot. I know it doesn't do too well on Ratebeer but for me it was soaringly refreshing, just a delight. I'd spent the day thinking about trying to get hold of a belgian beer for the evening, and I'd read that the Kernel was a 'farmhouse' ale so I thought: sod it - I'd give it a go. And I'm so glad I did. It really ignited a drive to sample more beers from Belgium, in particular their saisons. I've tried Kernel's hersbrücker saison which is obviously quite different but nonetheless equally satisfying. I can't wait for next summer - I'm going to drink these by the bucket load I tell thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment