Thursday 19 September 2013

Late Knights, Worm Catcher IPA

Finally: Late Knights in a bottle!

I had the pleasure of chatting to Steve when I photographed him for this article. A super genuine and hard working individual who has paid his pub management + beer brewing dues and whose beer now seems to be fast becoming a regular feature anywhere that good beer is sold. What I think has been key to his success (amongst other things) has been his consolidating his rep in local South London (where I am - so I am biased a bit I suppose...!): trying to get a license sorted at the Mr Lawrence Crofton Park premises (a place destined to be mentioned in the beer history books?), a lovely little spot (extended pop-up bar that has really chimed with the locals) in Gypsy Hill and of course the brewery itself in Mr. Lawrence's old lock-up down in Penge (pronounced 'pawn-je', I'm reliably informed).

This IPA comes in at 5% with an orange pour and a light body. Minimal carbonation, the taste was Fanta at first, then the pine sap began to dominate thereafter. A sessionable IPA for sure. I had the bottled Hairy Dog at The Flying Pig last weekend too - I think I prefer the IPA in a bottle, but the Hairy Dog on cask in a pint. (The real star from Late Knights though is their Hop O' The Morning....I could drink that for days.)

I should obviously mention that the labels (designed by Bethany Warren) are spot on branding-wise and also very cool indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment