Tuesday 31 December 2013

Beavertown, Smog Rocket

This porter from Beavertown was a revelation when my brother bought me a bottle for last Christmas (2012). I remember being sat at the in-law's table, slightly miserable due to Greene King IPA and fiending for an APA. I hadn't had any dark beers up to this point so I didn't really know what to expect. I was blown away - the smoke, the tar, the viscosity (for me, at the time), the pungency. Delicious! Subsequent bottles faded in impact as I discovered imperial stouts and the like, and the most recent bottle I had was flat as a pancake (sadface). Nonetheless, Smog Rocket holds a place in my heart, being as it was, my first taste of dark and smoggy traditional(ish) London recipe brews. I had their imperial smog a while back too. I didn't really get it then, but I have their new barrel aged version set aside, looking forward to giving it another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment