Friday 17 January 2014

Brodie's Fabulous Beers, Kiwi IPA

It's slightly telling (and possibly a bit sad) that I can easily recall every instance where I've had a Brodie's beer. The Westow once had Dalston Black and the London Fields Pale on tap (keg and cask respectively), both were incredible. (Occasionally, I'll see the Dalston Black in Ales By Mail, but by the time I get round to making my order, they're all sold out.) The pipes at the Cross Keys weren't too clean (I'm guessing) when I visited, so my London Fields there wasn't too great, and I was only able to have the Mofo Stout in Copenhagen. Pint of Citra (at 5%+) in Brewdog Shoreditch. Apart from the Kernel collab (had in a couple of different incarnations) this bottle (1 of 2 purchased) of Kiwi IPA is the only bottle of theirs I've tried. Beyond intense hoppage to inhale and chew on in this; the pungent and viscous pine sap flavours were in ascendency over citrus for me (contrary to other Brodie's I've had surprisingly). Super full body and savagely, savagely bitter.

I think these beers are only brewed out the back of a pub? Hence there being so few of them available. A shame, I try to snaffle these up whenever I can and I always order them on tap over anything else when I see them. Their collborating with the big boys Kernel and Mikkeller is no surprise: James Brodie's beers are world class. Hope I can one day go to a Bunny Basher, failing that, just a trip up to Leyton would suffice.

Great interview with James Brodie talking about his his beer ethos on the (now defunct) London Beer Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment